We are recruiting for a Carpenter / Joiner. This is an excellent opportunity which may lead to a permanent position.
You will be responsible for the installation and repair on a wide range of building fabric components and equipment (Internal & external repair of structural components, Building equipment repairs, ironmongery renewals & lock repairs, key cutting, automatic door audits, security locking maintenance, fire door & compartments inspections, operation of woodworking machinery, metalworking skills) etc.
You will undertake planned maintenance, reactive repairs, minor improvements, supports other trades and discretionary capital work across the UHB as directed by management.
Ensuring compliance with UHB safety standards and procedures at all times
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with departmental managers and external stakeholders on works in their areas and building relationships in those areas as point of contact.
- You will work generally unsupervised to undertake the majority of tasks and repair work using own judgement to effect repairs/solutions within capability.
- Understand the interrelationship between all trades and team members.
- Actively participate in operation of planned preventative maintenance programmes and continuous improvement programs.
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance inspections and record supporting documentation as necessary.
- Undertake essential repair works and general maintenance activities at the request of the team leader.
- Comply with the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Responsible for carrying out all tasks safely and compliantly, including interpreting essential health and safety information provided, e.g. asbestos data or risk assessments.
- Uses all relevant tools and equipment within safety guidelines as necessary for the completion of works
- Uses & maintains all relevant tools, equipment and precision setting of cutting machines within safety guidelines as necessary for the completion of works.
- To be prepared to work in environments such as working at height, working in a confined space, working in close proximity to waste water, hot and cold environments ensuring all safety measures are implemented to avoid injury and prevent damage to equipment.
- To undertake and maintain specific training requirements for your discipline as required.
- To undertake and maintain UKATA Approved Asbestos Awareness training each year.
- To undertake and maintain UKATA Approved Non-Licensed CAT B Training and awareness.
- To provide training, technical advice and support to trainees. Such as multi discipline operatives and apprentices.
- If required undertake on-call duties as part of the on-call team to ensure that emergency repairs, adverse weather support including snow clearance and gritting are attended to, in and out of normal hours in line with on-call agreement.
- If required in exceptional circumstances, undertake shift or shift relief duties as part of the shift rota team on a short term basis to ensure all emergency repairs and planned maintenance is carried out as required in and out of normal working hours in line with the shift agreement.
- Check drawings, records, databases, logs, electronic devices for policies procedures etc, Including databases such as asbestos
- Perform any other duties, within skill base, relevant to post required by the team leader.
- Perform routine work including for example carrying out specific inspections, surveys and plant audits, minor repairs, taking utility services meter readings, etc.
- Driving vehicles and operating mobile plant and specific items of equipment including jetting machines.
- Using relevant hand tools and equipment safely to carry out specific tasks as required by the team leader.
- Undertake detailed examination of component failure, identify cause, initiate & complete technical craft solution.
- Follows detailed construction drawings, specifications and work programmes.
- Use databases, plans, electronic systems including BMS to fault find and carry out planned maintenance activities.
- Manufacture & assemble or repair building components operating all plant and equipment to carry out the works. (heavy woodworking machinery, PVC forming tool, key cutting machine etc).
- To liaise with Team Leader regarding building fabric components or equipment failures and to request the supply of goods and/or services as necessary.
- Responsible for undertaking general inspections of building components & fabric.
- Undertakes testing & condition appraisal of fire doors & compartmentation to comply with HTM Firecode 83 & 85. Requesting remedial works as & when required.
- Audits automatic doors to comply with BS 7036.
- Responsible for undertaking Building upgrades & maintenance in accordance with the latest edition of the Building Regulations & HTM.